Sunday, January 13, 2013

Alaska Life; Wimps need not apply!

Photo by Jill Davis

What is it about Alaska that enthralls people?  Well friends the list is endless.... I will tell you one thing Wimps need not apply!

Alaska is not for the faint of heart.  There is a saying up here that goes "Alaska where men are men and the women are too"

Well sorry to say there is a lot of truth to that.  Of course that used to be more common in the days before the 90's.  In the 1970's Alaska was practically the Old West.  I have noticed things have become quite civilized in the past 20 years.  I have not had that much time in civilization to experience that though.  Out of the past 17 years I have spent a total of 3 months max out of 12 in so called society.  I think that is about all I could handle or more like about all that civilization could handle of me.  There are a select group of us Black Sheep out there that just do not fit in to the mold that society wants people to fit in.

I think those people that fit that Black Sheep category became guides and outfitters.  I guess that is what makes the best guide and outfitter, one that is willing to go against the grain and pioneer a trail that no on else has gone on.  Do something or build something somewhere no one else has built.  I applaud all of you in the elite club that have done things that said they could not be done, gone places no one else has gone, and succeeded in their dreams and goals.

I am being harsh when I say wimps need not apply, I use it to weed out the faint of heart.  We take wimps!  I have been guiding in the wilderness for 17 years and the people that surprised me the most with courage were people that I never would have thought had it in them.  Alaska will test you physically and mentally.  I do enjoy sharing my wilderness with anyone brave enough to come experience true raw rugged wilderness.  It will be something you will never forget, and you probably be wanting to come back for more!  Once you get Alaska in your system it is hard for anyone to get it out.

I look forward to hearing your posts and comments, find me on Facebook! 
check out my website http://www.alaskawildadventures.tv

Cheers from the Wilds of Alaska!
Alaska Woman Jill Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment