Saturday, January 12, 2013

LIFE AND ART

Our life is supposed to be our life, and our art is supposed to be something we do "in" it and with it. 

Our life must be larger than our art.  It must be the container that holds it.  Life is not linear.

Our Artist's Way is a long and winding road, and we travel it best in the company of others, engaged not in the inner movie of the ego but in the outer-directed attention that fills the well with images and stocks the imagination with stories.

Rather being "full time artists," we might aspire to being full time humans.  When we do, art is the overflow of a heart filled with life.  JULIA CAMERON

I believe we get too concerned with pressure to "be" something, I think being ourselves is something.  Everyone is good at something and doing what you enjoy is being something.  That could be making a good cup of coffee or tea, cross stitching, sewing, etc.  It is all art, we are not in a competition in this world, well not totally true.  We can be in competition if that is what pleases us. 

I hope people realize doing what you enjoy weather you think it is not as good as others will not let that bother or deter you.  Enjoy your life and do what makes you happy!  Another thing to keep in mind is that we will get better.  You should see some of my first pictures.... so amateur.  That is the truth though.  I do believe that I take better pictures than I used to.  A professional photographer told me back when we used film he was happy to get one good picture out of a roll of film.

By the way a more expensive item does not improve your performance.  Granted when you become better at something having a better quality item will improve the outcome.  I think people buy expensive things thinking it will make them better at something, I just laugh. 

I guide sport fishermen and they come up with these $2,000.00 rod and reel set ups, and then there was me with my cheapo rod and reel. 

I actually had expensive set ups, but did not bring them out guiding because people usually broke their rods and needed to borrow mine, and no way in hell was I going to let someone touch my GLX with my Able reel but me!  Well, I would have to say the expensive rod did not make them a better caster.  I do not like to put people to shame, but should one hold back if they are good at something?  It is true I think a good guide does not purposely try to look better than their client, but if you can not help it is it a crime? 

Well long story short do what you love, buy the cheap stuff till you get good at it, and then you can appreciate the quality high end items when the time comes!

Take Care from Alaska Woman!
feel free to friend me on Facebook or e-mail me with your comments or feedback!
http://www.alaskawildadventures.tv


No comments:

Post a Comment